WHAT IS AN OKREAL MENTOR CIRCLE?
OKREAL Mentor Circles are intimate group sessions that enable women to connect with one another, help each other through challenges, and lift one another up. We discuss what we’re going through, share what works and what doesn’t, come to solutions together, and hook each other up with contacts.
WHAT KIND OF WOMEN PARTICIPATE?
Women at all stages of their career and life experience: working in corporate companies, running their own businesses, trying to launch their own brands, in between jobs, mothers, women who don’t want kids, women who are trying to figure out what’s next and how to get there. The commonality? Women who are super ambitious, but know there’s more to life than just being a ‘boss.’ Women who are striving to define and create their own version of fulfillment, and live life on their own terms.
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT CIRCLE FORMATS?
SELECT MENTOR CIRCLES
Select Mentor Circles are concentrated sessions of five women, instead of seven. They allow for more focused time and discussion with each individual, and more thorough exploration of what each woman is going through. If you want the chance to have a deeper conversation that allows for more guidance and input, this circle is for you. Select Mentor Circles are led by Amy Woodside.
Participants: 5 women total + Amy
Session: 3.5 hours
Amy is the founder and CEO of OKREAL. She has spent the past three years interviewing leading women role models and entrepreneurs, and incorporates these insights into her mentor circle guidance. Amy formulated the OKREAL mentor model, has led over 50 circles, and has coached a number of women in the OKREAL community.
SIGNATURE MENTOR CIRCLES
Signature Mentor Circles are our classic mentor circle format, featuring seven participants. Signature circles are perfect for connecting and sharing with the other women who have been handpicked for your group, and leaving with a range of fresh insights and perspectives. Signature Mentor Circles are led by Uli Beutter Cohen.
Participants: 7 women total + Uli
Session: 3.5 hours
Uli is a trained coach and has mentored entrepreneurs of all types for the past five years. She has held communication workshops at Google, LMHQ, Hyper Island & Ace Hotel. In addition to being an OKREAL Mentor Circle Leader, she is the founder of Subway Book Review.
ARE AMY & ULI THE MENTORS?
Amy or Uli will act as a guide for each group, but ALL women who attend will be co-mentoring each other. Don’t worry if you’re at the start of your journey or if you’ve never been in a group like this before—we have women at all stages of life. Everyone gets an equal amount of time to speak and to be heard.
WHEN + WHERE DO CIRCLES HAPPEN?
2018 times and locations TBD!
If you are not in New York City or Auckland, we still welcome you to apply under the ‘circles in general’ option in the application form. We hope to make it to your city soon.
WHAT HAPPENS AT EACH CIRCLE?
• Each circle is made up of five to seven participants carefully chosen from our application process. We put together a group of women who are going to be able to relate, connect and benefit from each other. This is an invaluable network of women to support you beyond the three hour session. We have a new theme each month that the circles are based on—like leadership, transition, confidence.
• Once everyone arrives and introductions have been made, the circle leader (Amy or Uli) will run you through the mentor structure. Each person is then allotted time where the focus is completely on them. The amount of time depends on whether you are taking a Select Circle or Signature Circle. We concentrate on that person’s challenge, goal or topic—talking though experiences with them, offering suggestions and support. Your circle leader will capture the insights and compile a set of notes for you to take home. We finish with an evaluation exercise, and all participants are put in contact with each other afterwards.
• Each participant gains access to our private Facebook mentor group. Here, we post breakthroughs and key learnings after each event. You’ll have insight on what goes down in each mentor circle, not just your own. Future circle participants will also have access to this group, so your network of curated industry contacts will continue to expand—enabling your opportunity to grow right along with it.
WHAT DO YOU LOOK FOR IN APPLICATIONS?
A woman with a big heart.
ANYTHING ELSE I NEED TO KNOW?
• You will be there to share just as much as you are there to receive. You will be willing to listen just as much as you are there to talk. This thing goes two ways!
• We will be sharing emails after each event, with the objective of participants staying in contact and helping each other out in future.
• Sorry dudes, this is ladies only.
HOW DO I APPLY?
I APPLIED. WHAT NOW?
• If you are invited to join, you will receive an email from us. You must accept the invite within eight hours, or we will pass along to someone else. Please only apply if you are serious about attending.
• If it takes a while for you to receive an invite, this is a reflection of the amount of applications we receive (Not you! You are great!), and the fact we can only take a limited number of women at a time. Please be patient and know that it might take a while for us to place you in a group. There is no need to email us to follow up, we have your information.
WHAT DO PAST PARTICIPANTS HAVE TO SAY?
“OKREAL’s mentor circle was a literal breath of empowering, thought-provoking fresh air. Entrepreneurship of any kind is a lonely game, and finding a space to connect and learn from other women is something I was craving and found that night, seated at a table drinking rose with eight other women. We live in a culture focused on the hustle or becoming a #bossbabe, and while that can be really inspiring, it doesn’t necessarily always speak to where we are at. Instead, I saw moments of honesty, vulnerability and inner strength that night via the women assembled, and that, more than any hashtag, really inspired me.”
—Rachel Jones (Founder, Jonesy)
“The experience at OKREAL’s mentor circle was a wonderful, inviting, and dynamic evening of connection. The group of women gathered around the table were a collective powerhouse of creative thinkers and innovators, and the support and advice shared was an example of authenticity at it’s best. The honesty and willingness to share successes and challenges was inspiring and invigorating—it’s truly a rarity to get to connect in such an open way. To have the support and mentorship of such an intimate group of women is something I was deeply inspired and empowered by.”
—Jess Williams (Founder & Creative Director, Communal Creative)